What type of Assistance is Available for Senior Citizens or Disable Persons?

January 9th, 2013

The Missouri Property Tax Credit Claim gives credit to certain senior citizens and 100 percent disabled individuals for a portion of the real estate taxes or rent they have paid for the year. The credit is for a maximum of $750 for renters and $1,100 for owners who owned and occupied their home. The actual credit is based on the amount of real estate taxes or rent paid and total household income (taxable and nontaxable).

Individuals with speech/hearing impairments call TDD 1-800-735-2966.

Assistance from University of Missouri Extension Office

The University of Missouri Extension Office maintains information on its website and offers information related to free tax return preparation for certain individuals. The site contains information regarding Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA), Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) and AARP sites in Missouri and the eastern third of Kansas. Both VITA and TCE volunteers are certified by the Internal Revenue Service.